I tried out my Mom’s waffle maker one day and absolutely loved it. I knew I needed to buy my own. I settled on this one, since it was inexpensive. Now I’m wishing I hadn’t cheaped out, and bought the same model as my Mom’s, simply because it is prettier. They both work well though, and will make some great AIP waffles!
I’m really trying to limit my fruit to just berries so this avocado berry cream has been my most recent treat. Avocado and berries puréed and topped with warm berries. Easy and delicious!
I decided to top my waffle with the berry cream instead of maple syrup, since I’m trying to limit the sweets, and of course, Valentine’s Day is coming up! Who doesn’t love pretty pink and purple waffles? But let’s be real, a little honey or maple syrup would taste amazing drizzled over it all!
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 cup tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil,melted
- 1 1/4cup warm water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 1 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- Maple syrup or honey, optional
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- Preheat waffle iron to highest temperature.
- Place berry cream ingredients in a blender, purée until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix together warm water, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cassava flour, tigernut four, arrowroot starch, salt, and baking soda.
- Pour the coconut oil and water mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spread batter on waffle iron, cook until crispy! *This is not your regular gluten waffle batter, the batter will be thicker and it will have to cook longer. I let my waffle iron go for two runs, then I flip it and let it go once more, to get that extra crispy waffle!
- While the waffles are cooking, warm up the mixed berries, either in a small saucepan over medium heat, or if you’re lazy like I am, you can just dump them in a microwave safe dish and warm them up in the microwave.
- Top the crispy waffles with some berry cream and warm berries.