When I embarked on this autoimmune protocol healing journey, one of the foods I was afraid to live without were tomatoes. Tomatoes add so much flavour and colour to dishes, it’s hard not to mourn them a little when you give up nightshades.
BUT once you realize it is possible to recreate the flavour and colour with a bit of creativity, sorrow turns to excitement! It’s wonderful to know there are ways to cook favourite dishes without the inflammation.
The idea of this soup has been in my mind for quite some time now. The inspiration came from a vegan restaurant I visited years ago, where I enjoyed a tomato-based dill quinoa soup. There was just something about the flavour combination, it was bomb.
I often thought about the soup over the years so I knew I had to figure out a way to make an AIP version. But dang, I must say that the taste of this AIP soup greatly surpasses that of the tomato-based soup!
Carrots and Beets: This is the combo which replaces the tomato. In this recipe, the root veggies are roasted to add another layer of flavour. Yum!
Smoked Sea Salt: Although you could get away with using real salt, I prefer smoked sea salt in this soup. Obviously, it adds the smoky flavour, which goes oh so well with the roasted veggies and dill.
Cauliflower rice: Although it’s been available for awhile, my local grocery stores recently started carrying frozen cauli rice. Game changer. If you’re looking to cut down on kitchen time, by all means get the convenient pre-packaged cauli rice!!! Saves.so.much.time.
Chicken: You can use leftover roast chicken OR make some shredded chicken specifically for the soup. I recently discovered making shredded chicken in the instant pot. LOVE it! Here’s a good tutorial on how to do it (just omit the black pepper for strict AIP).
- 2 cups carrots, 1/4 inch slices
- 1 small beet, 1/4 inch slices (approx 1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 cups bone broth
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1.5 cups cauliflower rice, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups kale leaves, chopped
- 1 cup shredded chicken, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place carrots, beets, and avocado oil in a mixing bowl.
- Toss until veggies are coated with the oil.
- Transfer carrots and beets to a baking sheet and roast in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Place bone broth, garlic, roasted carrots and beets to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once it begins to simmer, transfer to blender and purée until smooth.
- Transfer soup back into the saucepan.
- Mix in cauliflower rice, kale, chicken, dill, and smoked sea salt.
- Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low.
- Serve sprinkled with smoked sea salt, sliced avocado, or even a squeeze of fresh lemon!