Ok guys, you all know I’m super passionate about nutrition, BUT I have another passion I need to tell you about…. Gelatin Gummies. I was a kid that looooved Jello so when I discovered gelatin gummies were compliant, this whole healing diet became a whole lot easier. You mean, I can make “Jello” that’s compliant and healing? Mind. Blown.
Two more reasons I’m in love with these lil jigglers: flavours are endless and they are easy to make. The process of making gelatin gummies is really simple. First you make a tasty mixture (fruit, fruit juices, teas, coconut water, lemon, etc), warm it up, mix in gelatin until dissolved, refrigerate, and wait till jiggly. That’s it!
When we lived in Ottawa, we visited the apple orchard each year to pick some fresh apples. We had fun bringing the kids and I always enjoyed a fresh cider. As I was reminiscing, I thought it would be fun to make an apple cider version of gelatin gummies. This recipe is a two in one really. You could omit the gelatin and enjoy mulled cider instead. Both are equally delicious!
- 3 cups apple cider
- juice of half an orange
- 1 slice of orange
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 whole vanilla bean, sliced open lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- pinch of mace
- 1 inch nub of ginger
- 1/4 cup of gelatin
- Mix all ingredients except for the gelatin in a saucepan and place over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain with a fine mesh sieve or nut milk bag (I like this one) into a blender.
- Mix on low speed and gradually drop in gelatin.
- Mix on low until gelatin is dissolved.
- Pour mixture into a glass baking dish or a silicone mold and set in refrigerator for 1-2 hours to firm up!
- If you used a baking dish, cut into squares.