This cherry crisp is a simple, quick and delicious dessert. It’s also completely AIP, paleo, plus gluten and dairy free!
I’m a huge fan of fruit crisps. I created my apple crisp recipe shortly after going AIP. I knew it was a necessity because it’s my ultimate comfort food. It turned out SO well. In fact, it’s one of the most popular recipes on the blog! I honestly do not miss the regular gluten and dairy filled apple crisp.
Next, I created a blueberry crisp recipe. Blueberries are my hubby’s fave. So, of course, I needed a blueberry crisp version I could eat too!
Now, I actually had never tried cherry crisp in the past. But recently I was watching a cooking show and it inspired me create an AIP version. Plus, I’m all about having options lately.
Ingredients you need
For the filling:
- Coconut oil – to grease the pan
- Sweet cherries – I used frozen, but fresh would also work, just make sure pits are removed
- Lemon – zest and juice
- Vanilla extract – don’t worry about the alcohol for AIP, it will cook off
- Arrowroot starch – this helps to thicken the filling
For the Topping:
- Shredded coconut – make sure it’s unsweetened and without extra additives
- Cassava flour
- Arrowroot starch
- Coconut oil
- Maple Syrup
How to make this Cherry Crisp
First things first, preheat oven to 350.
Then you’re going to grease a 9-10 inch pie pan with coconut oil. I do this by adding a little coconut oil (1/2-1 tsp) on a paper towel, and basically rub it on the inside of the pie pan. Set aside while you get the filling ready.
In a separate bowl you’ll toss the filling ingredients together – cherries, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract and arrowroot starch. Then add the filling to the greased pie pan.
Then in another separate bowl, you’ll mix the topping. First start by whisking the dry ingredients, shredded coconut, cassava flour, arrowroot starch, and salt. Then mix in the in melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Once it’s combined, spread this evenly onto the filling as best as you can!
Then bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes.
Serve alone or with coconut cream or coconut ice cream, or even coconut yogurt.
1 hour 15 minutes
This cherry crisp is a simple, quick and delicious dessert. It's also completely AIP, paleo, plus gluten and dairy free!
- Coconut oil , for greasing pan
- 4 cups sweet cherries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9-10 inch pie pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add all filling ingredients and toss. Place filling into pan. Set aside.
- In a separte bowl, whisk together dry topping ingredients – shredded coconut, cassava flour, arrowroot starch, and salt.
- Mix in melted coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Spread topping on top of cherry filling, trying to get it as even as possible.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes
- Eat alone or top with coconut cream, coconut ice cream, or coconut yogurt.