This chocolate granola cereal is the perfect crunchy treat. It’s also paleo and gluten free and can very easily be made AIP.
I used to be such a granola addict. I absolutely loved it. Especially on top of yogurt or eaten as a cereal with milk. So it was one of those foods I really missed when I first went grain free.
I was ecstatic when I first made my AIP Apple Cinnamon Granola. It was just what I was missing and absolutely addicting. Even my husband thought so, and trust me, that’s saying something!
As much as I love my original granola, a girl needs options! And who says an allergen free diet must lack variety?
I love this chocolate version, it reminds me of a chocolate cereal, like cocoa puffs, buuut without the puff, a granola crunch instead! 😉
What you need to make this Chocolate Granola
Toasted Coconut Flakes
I use Yupik Organic toasted Coconut Chips. You want to make sure it’s just coconuts in the ingredients and not sweetened with anything. I usually have toasted coconut chips on hand, because they make a great snack on their own too!
A little bit of arrowroot starch to help create the granola feel, you know that crunchy, sticking together texture!
The coconut oil will have to be melted. This allows the coconut oil to combine with the rest of the ingredients and ensures the coconut chips are coated well.
Adds the sweetness but also a hint of maple flavour! Did you know the darker the maple syrup, the stronger the flavour? I usually buy the medium or dark syrup.
Cocoa OR Carob for AIP
This recipe can be made with either cocoa or carob powder. If you’re following strict AIP, you’ll want to use carob powder as cocoa is a reintroduction.
I use pure vanilla extract, and if you’re AIP don’t worry about the alcohol since it cooks off in the baking process!
Just a pinch!
Chocolate Chips or Carob Chips (Optional)
I used the chocolate chips as as an add-in but there are SO many more possibilities with this granola. If you tolerate nuts, chopped hazelnuts or macadamia nuts would be amazing. Or some AIP options can include dried cranberries or flaked sea salt! Yum!
Ways to serve
- By itself – makes a great lil snack
- Over coconut yogurt
- Over ice cream – dairy free or AIP ice cream
- As a cereal – this is my fave, tastes amazing with coconut milk, just like a cereal!
This chocolate granola cereal is the perfect crunchy treat. It's also paleo and gluten free and can very easily be made AIP.
- 2 cups toasted coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp cocoa OR carob powder for AIP
- 1/2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 1-2 tbsp mini chocolate chips (optional, omit for AIP)
- In a large bowl, mix together melted coconut oil, cocoa/carob, arrowroot, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Making sure powder is dissolved.
- Add coconut flakes and toss until combined.
- Spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 300 for 30 mins or until crispy. Allow to cool.
- Once cool, mix in chocolates chips or other optional add-ins*.
*If you tolerate nuts, chopped hazelnuts or macadamia nuts would be amazing. Or some AIP options can include dried cranberries or flaked sea salt! Yum!