No matter how you look at it, we NEED nutrients. For most of us, our bodies are compromised when it comes to absorbing nutrients (thanks to leaky gut), so what is the best approach? Nutrient Density. This is one of, if not the most, crucial part of any healing diet. You want to focus on getting the most nutrients per bite of food!
One way to do this, one very important way, is to eat your VEGTABLES! I love veggies, and the more I include them in my diet, the more I appreciate them. I even crave them. In fact, I’m really looking forward to some roasted brussel sprouts for dinner tonight, Yesssss I really am!
However, I know this is not the case for most people embarking on a healing diet. If you’re coming from a Standard American Diet, chances are your taste buds are accustomed to the taste of refined foods, artificial flavors, and bad fats.
The good news is that you can retrain your taste buds.
Start including as many vegetables as you can stand into your daily diet. Flavour your veggies: roast them with good oils and fats, such as coconut oil, avocado oil, pastured lard, or grass-fed tallow; create salads with flavourful salad dressings; make pureed veggie bone broth soups. It may take time, but if you’re consistent and vary the vegetables you eat, you will soon be craving them as well.
As much as I hate to focus on the disadvantages of a healing diet, let’s face it, it takes a lot of preparation, time in the kitchen, and dishes! Once in a while, we just want the nutrients without the work. Solution: veggie powders.
Most veggie and green powders out there include non-AIP ingredients, such as chlorella and spirulina. Although these are considered superfoods, they are also immune stimulators, which can be detrimental to those with autoimmune issues. I’ve been looking for an AIP compliant veggie powder for awhile now, I even contemplated making my own, which totally defeats the main purpose: convenience. SO I am thrilled with this new Collagen Veggie Blend created by Sarah Ballentyne and Vital Proteins. It’s completely AIP compliant, containing:
- and of course Collagen, you all know I love Collagen, right? I talk about my love for collagen here and here.
I do enjoy Veggie Collagen Blend simply mixed with water for a nutrient boost, and I think it’s perfect to pack in a small container to carry along with you while on-the-go since it’s simple to shake into a water bottle.
One serving contains 3 servings of whole organic vegetables, 1 serving of high-antioxidant organic fruit, and 20 grams of protein from collagen peptides!
However, if your taste buds are still adjusting to real food, you may prefer to have it incorporated in a smoothie or a healing treat – two perfect ways to get veggies in without even realizing it. I’m excited to share with you not one, not two, but THREE recipes using the Collagen Veggie Blend!
But before I share these recipes, I thought I’d list a few other ways I enjoy the collagen veggie blend:
- Mixed in coconut yogurt with a bit of honey or carob.
- Mixed in with fresh lemon juice, honey, and filtered water (mineral water if you like a very foamy drink).
- Mixed into a cup of applesauce (another great snack for on-the-go or travel).
I’ve come a long way from the carnation instant breakfast shake I used to consume back in the day. Now my morning shakes are in the form of smoothies, which are filled with healthy fats, greens, vegetables, and fruit. I’m a huge fan of smoothies and here’s why:
- Great way to get your greens and veggies in (especially if your taste buds are still adjusting to real food).
- Easy to digest. (Remember: digestion is activated by chewing, you can either eat a little something along side your smoothie OR actually chew your smoothie!)
- Filled with bio-available nutrients
- Simple to add in healing supplements (like Collagen Veggie Blend).
- Kids love them.
- Flavour combinations are endless
Now on to the recipes: two smoothies and a treat!
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 2 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 scoop of Collagen Veggie Blend
- 1 cup of filtered water
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Blend until smooth.