This instant pot chicken stew is creamy and delicious! It is paleo, low carb, and whole30. It can also be made AIP with one modification!
I’ve been in a chicken mood lately. And since the weather is cooler now and we even have snow, chilis and stews have been calling my name!
SO naturally I had to create a chicken stew recipe. And of course, it had to be done in the instant pot, because that’s just how I roll!
What you need to make this Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- Green beans – Omit for strict AIP, you can replace it with an AIP approved veggie – sweet potato would work well!
- Bone broth
- Coconut milk, full fat
- and of course, an instant pot!
How to make:
This recipe is done in kind of a three step process, but trust me it’s super easy and quick!
SO first you’re going to set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once oil is heated, add the celery and onion and sauté for a few minutes, until it is aromatic and bit softened.
Then you’re going to add everything EXCEPT the coconut milk and arrowroot starch. Give it a stir and set the instant pot to manual high pressure for 15 minutes.
You want to quick release the pressure once it’s done, because you don’t want to chicken to be overcooked.
Then in a separate bowl, mix the coconut milk and arrowroot together until there aren’t any clumps. Then you’ll want to add it to the instant post and mix for a minute or so.
The coconut milk is added at the end to prevent it from curdling. And the arrowroot starch is what helps with thickening!
Ideas for what to eat with this Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, chopped **omit for AIP
- 2 cups bone broth
- 1 cup coconut milk, full-fat
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp salt
- Set instant pot to sauté setting.
- Add oil and once heated, add onion and celery. Sauté for a few mins until aromatic.
- Add chicken cubes, carrots, green beans, bone broth, rosemeary, thyme, and salt.
- Give it all a stir then close the instant pot lid, making sure the valve is set to sealing and set for 15 minutes on manual high pressure.
- Once done, manually quick pressure realease.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the coconut milk and arrowroot starch until combined.
- Add coconut milk, arrowroot mixture to the insant pot and stir for a min or until it thickens sightly.
** Omit green beans for strict AIP, can replace with another AIP veggie such as sweet potato!