Summer days of salads and bbq are over. Now we’re into stews, soups, and baked treats. I LOVE it! When the temperature drops, my desire to bake rises. Colder weather just does that to me. Anyone else?
I truly adore this time of year, you know, pumpkin season, formerly known as fall. The air smells amazing, the colours outside are gorg annnnd pumpkin spice is everywhere. What’s not to love?
These muffins are adapted from my morning glory muffins. I thought they’d make a great fall treat, especially by adding more pumpkin and including some fall spices (AIP ones of course!). These aren’t your typical sweet cake muffins though. I think of them more as rustic muffins, which make an amazing snack, especially an on-the-go snack.
You know what’s extremely cool about plantain? You can make bread type recipes with it by puréeing this starchy fruit! I use this technique in my plantain collagen protein pancakes and plantain apple cookies.
I love using pumpkin purée because not only does it increase the nutrition in baked goods but it also helps with binding, which AIP baking can always use since it is egg-free.
Random thought: I wonder how much sales of pumpkin purée increases from summer to fall?
Cinnamon, Ginger, and Mace
Just typing these words, makes me smell fall spice. It is seriously one of my most fave flavour combinations. Since nutmeg, is a seed-based spice, it is on the avoid list when following the Autoimmune Protocol. BUT I promise, you will not feel like you’re missing out when using cinnamon, ginger, and mace!
1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 large green plantains, chopped
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375
- Add plantains, acv, coconut oil, and pumpkin purée to a high powered blender. Purée until smooth.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Separate batter into ten greased muffin cups. I grease mine with coconut oil.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from pan.