When I was in high school, I worked at a local coffee shop/lunch place. It was one of my all-time favourite jobs. I loved the coffee smell, seeing the regulars come in each morning, and I adored making the drinks and food.
This coffee shop was not only popular for their coffee, but also their salads. You sure got your money’s worth, I tell ya! They were HUGE and full of flavour.
The Greek salad was one of my faves and these past few weeks, it’s been fun reminiscing my ‘barista’ days while enjoying this AIP version. It has been on serious repeat – I just can’t get enough! But that’s totally ok.
Because there are some fantastic healing components to this salad!
- Loaded with nutrients (vitamin k, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, magnesium), and anti-oxidants, kale helps reduce inflammation (yay!) and since it is filled with fibre and sulphur, it supports the liver.
- Cucumber is a cooling food, which according to traditional Chinese medicine, helps to clear heat and toxins from the body and nourishes yin energy!
- Made up of 95% water, cucumbers are hydrating but are also an excellent source of vitamin k and molybdenum.
- Cucumbers also contain silica, a vital nutrient for collagen production! You know I’m all about that collagen!
- Like olive oil, kalamata olives are abundant in monounsaturated fats, a healthy fat especially good for heart health! Woot woot!
Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Did you know ACV can help reduce blood sugar and because of its pectin content, it feeds those good intestinal bugs (probiotics)? Since most of us could use some improvements when it comes to insulin sensitivity and increasing intestinal microflora, ACV should absolutely be a staple in your kitchen!
- 4 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 1.2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar and mix. I like to put the lid on and shake it up!
- Add chopped kale to a large bowl.
- Add half the dressing and massage it into the kale.
- Add the remaining ingredients and dressing.